The sun’s out in Singapore and it's blistering hot. It’s mostly like this throughout the year but in the second quarter of the year, we tend to see temperatures soaring up to 35 degrees celsius. A simmering hot cup of coffee might not seem like the best of choices to clock your daily caffeine needs, but you need something more than that… you need our Cold Brew.
One of the many reasons why this drink is popular is because by immersing your coffee grounds in cold water for an extended period of time produces a more well-rounded cup because the beans are not cooked by the hot water. By steeping your coffee, it also brings out the floral and fruity notes of the coffee and brings down the acidity level by heaps.
How-to Cold Brew
- Coffee Beans / Coffee Grounds
- Distilled or purified water. If you don’t have access to this, boiled clean water is fine
- A carafe or jug
- Coffee filters / Strainer
- A muslin cloth/coffee bags (optional)
- If coffee beans are used, grind them to a coarse texture. Aim to achieve a texture similar to table salt.
- Insert the grounds into the coffee bag or muslin cloth and tie it up.
- Immerse the bag of coffee grounds into the carafe or jug filled with fresh water.
- Gently knead the bag a little to ensure that the entire bag is completely submerged.
- Let it sit overnight for around 12 hours. If you’d prefer a stronger brew, let it sit longer for about 14-15 hours. But try not to let it sit for more than that as you might bring out the bitterness of the coffee which is what we’re not striving for this style of brew!
- Strain the coffee and refrigerate it to chill it before serving or putting it into your tumbler for work or school!
And there you have it! A cold and perfect smooth tasting coffee with much lower levels of acidity to battle the intense heat of summer! We recommend our Aceh Gayo Single-Origin Premium Arabica beans to be used as you can really taste the winey aroma and complex flavour through the cold brew and bring down the high acidity that comes with other brewing methods. If you prefer to experience the herbal and floral aromas that accompany an earthly taste then you should try our Sumatra Mandheling beans!
Remember to share this fun and simple method of brewing your coffee with your family and friends if you found it useful and easy to make!
Enter our refer-a-friend contest and stand a chance to win a free bag of Knights' Brew! Our Knights' Brew is our best selling 3-in-1 instant coffee. Simply add 2 scoops of coffee to 150ml of water and you have a piping hot cup of coffee ready to go! The more friends you refer, the more chances you get! Hurry and start referring now!
We are almighty.